After the well-received explanation of Slimming Powder, it seemed only logical to write an extensive blog about our popular Meal Shakes. If your question remains unanswered, you can always contact our customer service.
What is a Meal Shake?
The Meal Shakes from Killerbody are meal replacements. This means that a Meal Shake is suitable as an alternative for meals, such as breakfast or lunch.
Not everything can be called a meal replacement. Strict requirements are imposed by the European Union on the content of a meal replacement. For example, a meal replacement must contain both proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. The ratio of these proteins, carbohydrates, and fats and their sources can be determined to some extent. That's why the quality of meal replacements on the market varies greatly. Some meal replacements contain a lot of sugar or very little protein.
Killerbody uses whole grain oatmeal, plant-based pea protein, and sources of unsaturated fats in the Meal Shakes. We have also deliberately chosen to include more protein than average and no added sugars in our Meal Shakes. Why? Because a meal should provide you with enough energy to get through your day, and proteins satisfy your body longer than (fast) carbohydrates or fats.
Aside from the ratio of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats, it is also important for a meal replacement to provide you with a minimum number of calories and contain vitamins and minerals.
Health Benefits of a Meal Shake
What do these ingredients achieve together?
- Rich in proteins: Proteins are very important, but when your goal is weight loss, it can be challenging to get enough protein. A diet with sufficient protein is important for weight management. Proteins keep you satisfied longer, helping you eat less, according to the Voedingscentrum. Killerbody's Meal Shakes are protein-rich, with a whopping 28 grams of protein per meal to help you reach your goals.
- Low in sugars: Sugar affects your blood glucose level (also known as 'blood sugar'). It has a high glycemic index (GI). The GI is a measure of how quickly carbohydrates in the gut are digested and absorbed as glucose into the blood, according to the Voedingscentrum. Since sugar has a high GI, consuming sugar results in a rapid energy spike followed by a quick drop, leading to an energy dip and increased hunger. Killerbody uses no sugar in the Meal Shake as a source of carbohydrates but uses oats instead. Oats have a low GI and provide a slower release of energy to your body.
- Vitamins and minerals: Each Meal Shake contains a minimum of 30% of the recommended daily intake of 26 vitamins and minerals, including A, B, C, D, E, K, and magnesium.
A Look at the Ingredient List
Let's take a look at the ingredient list of our Meal Shakes. We have listed the ingredients in order of quantity. This is also legally required when it comes to labeling. In order of quantity means that the most of the first ingredient is used and the least of the last ingredient.
The following ingredients are based on the flavor Cookies & Cream.
- Pea Protein Isolate: Source of proteins.
- Whole Grain Oatmeal: Source of carbohydrates.
- Inulin: A prebiotic and fiber that contributes to a healthy digestion.
- Vitamins and Minerals Blend: 26 vitamins and minerals, including A, B, C, D, E, K, and magnesium.
- Sunflower Oil Powder: Source of fats.
- Vegetable Oil: Source of fats.
- Low-Fat Cocoa Powder: Gives flavor to the product in combination with flavorings, iodized salt, and sweetener.
- Thickening Agent: Contributes to the texture of the product.
- Cocoa Powder: Gives flavor to the product in combination with flavorings, iodized salt, and sweetener.
- Flavoring: Gives flavor to the product in combination with low-fat cocoa powder, iodized salt, and sweetener.
- Iodized Salt: Gives flavor to the product in combination with low-fat cocoa powder, flavorings, and sweetener.
- Green Tea: Stimulates fat burning*
- Sweetener: Gives flavor to the product in combination with low-fat cocoa powder, flavorings, and iodized salt.
When to Use a Meal Shake?
You can determine this for yourself, depending on your goal. You can use a meal replacement for weight loss or weight management. The advice is as follows:
- Usage advice for weight loss: Replacing two daily main meals with an energy-restricted diet with a meal replacement product contributes to weight loss.
- Usage advice for weight management: Replacing one daily main meal of an energy-restricted diet with a meal replacement product contributes to maintaining weight after weight loss.
When Not to Use a Meal Shake?
Despite the many advantages of our meal replacements, it does not mean that everyone should immediately switch to shakes. For example, if you have the time to cook a healthy meal, that is always preferable. If you still want to try our Meal Shakes, take a look at the different flavors or choose a value pack and select up to two flavors!
* = Health claims pending approval by the European Commission.